|1. Tally as many birds as you can close to home during the 24-hour period from 4 pm on Friday, May 15 until 4 pm on Saturday, May 16. Participants are welcome from anywhere in Maryland and DC, or in fact any states and country!|
2. Participants must abide by state and local guidelines for social distancing. Wear your face masks when applicable and stay six feet apart. Safety for yourself and others must be a priority.
3. Participants are encouraged to stay close to home, but may hike, bike or paddle during the birdathon. You can even even participate from inside your home by birding through your window. Travel by planes, trains or automobiles is strictly prohibited.
4. Tally the number of species (not the number of individuals) you can identify by sight or sound.
5. To support the conservation work of Audubon Maryland-DC, make a pledge per species, or just pledge an overall amount, and collect pledges from your friends. All donations should be made safely online here.
6. At the end of the Birdathon, shortly after 4 pm on May 16, send an email to David Curson at David.Curson@audubon.org with your species list and the pledge total you raised.
7. If you want to have a photo posted on our Facebook page, attach to your email a photo of you and/or your family birding. Please include the names as you’d like them to appear (such as “The Smith Family” or first names only) and your hometown. We will post the photos and species lists on the Audubon Facebook page. Or, use #BackyardBirdathon and tag Audubon Maryland-DC in your post.
8. Participants with the most funds raised and most species tallied will receive prizes and special recognition from Audubon Maryland-DC.
If you have questions, please email Patty Smith at Patricia.Smith@audubon.org.